Sausage and Cheese Tortellini Soup is one of the easiest InstaPot recipes that ALWAYS has a huge success rate with my entire family. Here is my recipe and a few tips I have found along the way. If you do not have an InstaPot, that is perfectly fine! You can make it without it.
My husband and toddler alike get excited when this is on the menu. I add a lot of tortellini into mine, because our daughter loves the pasta. I also will add spinach depending on if we have some or not. The spinach is great, but I hate to waste any if I do not have plans to use the spinach again. I recommend trying it both ways to see what you prefer!
First, you will of course need to round up your ingredients. I am very relaxed when it comes to cooking. I find these items to be pretty easy to locate in our grocery stores, and some of the items may even be in your panty already.
Once the Italian sausage is browned and drained, you are going to want to deglaze the bottom of the pot. To do this, simply pour in about 1/4 cup of your broth, this does not need to be exact seeing that you will add the rest in the next step. Then, take a spoon or spatula and scrape the bottom to get all the wonderful seasoning off the bottom. Add in the rest of the ingredients in step 3 and pressure cook it for 5 minutes.
This next step is very important! Be sure to allow your cooker to natural release for 5 minutes meaning that you do not touch it. Once your timer counts down to zero from cooking, it will then begin to count up allowing you to know how long it has been. Once I have this step started, I typically will step work on some laundry or something that needs to be done around the house. After it has been at least 5 minutes, you can quick release by opening the vent on the top.
Next is mine, and my toddlers, favorite part. Add the cheese tortellini into the soup. Boil the noodles around the time that is one the packaging. The will all really start to float when they are ready, and believe me, they float! Believe me, you will know when they are ready!
This is where you will add in your spinach if you chose to. I usually take the stems off of mine because we are not huge fans of long stems coming out of our soup. Stir them until wilted, just a few minutes. Pour in that heavy cream and you a glass of wine. You have made another delicious meal that your family will love! Sausage and Cheese Tortellini Soup is one step closer to us all ending mom guilt! Way to go Mama!
You can find more of my recipes here.
Sausage and Cheese Tortellini Soup
- Pressure Cooker
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 3-4 cloves minced garlic
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 4 tsp Better than Bouillion
- 19 oz package of cheese tortellini
- 2 oz baby spinach optional
- 1 pt heavy cream
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 tsp basil
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Using the "sauté" option on your Instapot, cook your Italian sausage until it is no longer pink. Drain and place sausage back into the pot.
- Add minced garlic and seasoning mix to the sausage and let sauté for another minute, until garlic is fragrant.
- De-glaze the bottom of the pot by adding in about 1/4 cup of the chicken stock and scrape the bottom of the pot. Add the tomato sauce, chicken stock, and Better than Bouillon. Mix it all together.
- Now it's time to cook under pressure. To do so, press "cancel", close the lid, and press "pressure cook." Cook on high for 5 minutes. Then let it naturally decompress for at least another 5 minutes. After that you can quick release.
- Using the "sauté" option again, bring to a boil. Add in your tortellini. Cook for 5 minutes or until they are floating, stirring occasionally.
- Optional: If adding spinach, this is the time to do so. Add the spinach in and stir until it wilts.
- Add heavy cream and continue to stir until it is all hot and mixed in.
- Add salt and pepper if needed.
- Enjoy! Way to go! You did it again Mama!