From Cast Member to Rope Drop, it is no doubt Disney has their own unique words that you want to know prior to your Disney vacation. You can find all the most common terms used by Disney, that only the fans know. All of these will be extremely helpful in any upcoming trip with the Walt Disney Company. I have divided them into 6 categories: Theme Park Hours, Resorts, Genie, Dining, Transportation, and Employees, and finally Events.
Theme Park Hours
- Rope Drop– This is the term for when the park officially opens. Many people will be in the park already waiting to rush to a long line attraction.
- Early Theme Park Entry– Guest staying in a Disney Resort (on property) are allowed into the parks 30 minutes prior to park open everyday of their vacation with theme park tickets.
- Extended Evening Hours– Designated time for deluxe resort guest only time in select parks on select nights. These can be found in the My Disney Experience app.
- Park Hopping– Refers to going to multiple parks in the same day. This requires a designated park hopper ticket. At the moment, park hopping is available after 2pm everyday.
There are over 20 resorts in Walt Disney World! For help finding the perfect resort for your family, simply start here for a complimentary quote from me.
- Deluxe Resort– Typically the most pricy and high-end resorts of Walt Disney World; including Animal Kingdom Lodge, Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian, and more. All with amazing dining and unique opportunities.
- Moderate Resort– More budget friendly that the deluxe resorts with different dining locations, and more amenities than the value results.
- Value Resorts– The most budget friendly of the Walt Disney World Resorts, will still offering free transportation, a large dining location, and the amazing service you can love and expect from Disney. These include Art of Animation, Pop Century, and the 3 All-Star Resorts.
- Great Neighboring Resort– Hotels that are located in or close to Walt Disney World that maintain a high level of requirements expected of them from Disney.
Disney Genie can be the most complicated of them all with the most unique Disney words. You can find my completely breakdown of Genie here. If you are not interested in the stress of learning everything Genie, but still want the perks I have that for you as well! I now have a service in which I book all of your Genie+ Selections for you, so there is no stress about learning this new system or getting Lightning Lanes. Spots are very limited. To check availability simply fill out this form, and I will get right back to you!
- Disney Genie– A free version in the app that is a “personal assistant;” the “My Day” and “Tip Board.” Suggested times for different attractions based on your preferences.
- Genie+– A paid per day service that allows you to skip lines to select attractions via Lightning Lane selections.
- Individual Lightning Lanes– A pay per ride attraction that is not included with Genie+; there is one at each park
- Lightning Lane– The physical queue that you will use to skip the lines at the attraction.
- 120 Minute Rule– if a LL is selected with a return time > 2 hours, another LL can be selected 2 hours after the last selected Genie
- Stacking– Having multiple Genie Lightning Lane Selections available in the afternoon via the 120 minute rule
- Quick Service– Ordering a meal via the app or at the counter and then finding a table
- Table Service- A sit down meal with a server; usually requires advance dining reservations
- Advance Dining Reservations– Dining Reservations for table service meals can be made 60 days prior to your first day of your vacation.
- Mobile Ordering– You can place orders for many quick service locations via the app. It is best to place these in the morning for a later pickup time. You can change the time if needed once it is closer to time.
- Character Dining– Table Service options that offer character interactions throughout your meal.
- Monorail– A very special form of transportation from Walt himself. The monorail of WDW will circle around the 3 neighboring hotels, Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, and the Ticket and Transportation Center (parking lot for MK.) This transportation goes right through the Contemporary Resort!
- Boat– Select Resorts as well as Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom will have transportation available via boat.
- Skyliner– The newest form of Disney Transportation that runs from select resorts to Hollywood Studios and EPCOT. Sit back and relax on your gondola flight through the sky.
- Bus System– The most common form of transportation is the many buses that run throughout Disney. You can use them to get from resort to parks and Disney Springs. However, they will not run from resort to resort.
- Minnie Van– A special service offered via Lyft to get a Minnie styled minivan Lyft. There will each have 2 car seats available as well as a wonderful Cast Member Driver.
Employees and Perks
- Cast Members– A unique Disney word referring to all employees of Disney; Walt wanted it to be like stepping into your favorite movies, so it is like you are in the movie, and the employees are cast members.
- PhotoPass– The pictures taken by a Disney Cast member (Photopass photographer)
- Memory Marker– A prepaid service that gives you access to all the pictures taken by a PhotoPass photographer and on rides.
- Capture Your Moment– An opportunity to book a private Disney photographer for a 20 minute session at any of the 4 theme parks. Advance Reservations are required and pictures are included in Memory Maker. Capture You Moments Review from This Motivated Mama
- Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party– A very special party held on select nights from August to October. Halloween themed overlays to select attractions, trick or treating around the park, special parade, fireworks, and castle show are all included. There are even special character meet and greets.
- Mickey Very Merry Christmas Party– A magical party that happens on select nights of November and December. Holiday themed overlays, special entertainment, character meet and greets, and endless cookies and your favorite holiday beverages are included.
- Disney After Hours– Special Ticketed event at both Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom on select nights. Enjoy the park with capacity, lower wait times, and snacks included in your ticket price.
Are there anymore unique Disney words you have heard? I can update with a new list soon, so what are some words you want to see added? As always, I appreciate you for visiting thismoticatedmama.com, and hope you have a most magical day!